Wednesday 6 February 2013

MP zho si mi gan?

My Taxi Driver was quite grouchy today.  I boarded with my usual "Uncle nihao!"  (Uncle how are you!) and he scowled back "hao!" (good!)

hmmmmm....tread carefully now.....so I told him my destination, he engaged his gear and we're on our way.

To break the awkwardness, I asked "Uncle, are you in a hurry?"  to which he burst out "Yes, I have to go fetch my grandson from nursery class." then he went on a tirade that his son's home at Sengkang doesn't have childcare centres nearby and he had to take time off to fetch his grandson home and his wife will take care of the young boy until his son and daughter-in-law gets home from work and they would bring the young boy home after dinner.  And the cycle starts again the next day.

And I tried to say "Wow, uncle, so good right?  You get to spend time with your grandson, and your wife gets to take care of him.  In the evening the family can still get together for dinner...." but my taxi driver would not have any of it.

Instead, he went on to say "Teo Ser Luck last night say no childcare centre!  What kind of MP is that?  MP zho si mi gan?"  (what work does an MP do?  or he may be insinuating that his MP is not doing his job.)

Whatever my taxi driver wanted to say -- I tried to tell him that Teo Ser Luck would not be able to push for childcare facilities in a ward that didn't empower him (or Dr. Koh Poh Koon).  There has been promises made by the opposition candidate, so I don't think she is clueless as to what the people at Punggol East wanted.

My taxi driver didn't want to hear my point of view, and I thought -- online, there are also people who wouldn't hear the other point of view, and they are so quick to pick up on sensational headlines, but slow to spread words of truth and reason.


I believe the reason why Teo Ser Luck and Dr. Koh Poh Koon couldn't push for childcare facilities in Punggol East is because they don't have the purview because they are not elected.  However, they can still continue to help all residents through NorthEast CDC, Comcare etc.

On hindsight (now that my taxi driver has brought me to my destination), it might be seen as contentious if PAP gears up to start more kindergarten in a ward that they are not elected.  It may make more sense for a more neutral organisation such as NTUC to do that. 


3 comments:

  1. Shouldnt mcys be incharge of making sure there are enough childcare centres?
    How did the buck get passed to the mp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and for your comment.

      Looking at things logically and reading what MSF does for Childcare at http://app.msf.gov.sg/AboutMSF/OurPeople/DivisionsatMSF/FamilyDevelopmentandSupport/ChildCareDivision.aspx, I understand that the MP's role is to work with MSF to provide childcare facilities in that constituency. However, the operators of a childcare facility must find it economically viable (i.e. enough business) before they invest (MSF does provide funding to VWOs to start childcare, but it's all taxpayer's money).

      Just like bus routes, the MP who is supposed to know the area well, will have to work with LTA and the bus operators to ensure that route is well serviced.

      I like this MP, Patrick Tay, here's a facebook status update on what he's doing for his residents. https://www.facebook.com/patrick.t.guan/posts/10151707624686102

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply

      Public transport should never been profit driven and handed to bus operators in the first place


      Judging from yur reply. I have this feeling if tommoroe nea say, ppl have to bring their own bowls and plate when they eat at hawker centres . U will be the first to get yur own set?

      Delete