Tuesday 29 January 2013

It's not the money

My taxi driver took out his mobile phone as I boarded.  And after he ascertained my destination, he made a call which was picked up by an answering machine.  So for the next 15 mins I was not able to chit chat with him as the music was intermittently interrupted with "Thank you for calling XXX taxi company.  Please hold and we'll be with you shortly."


I was a little disturbed that he would allow himself to be put on hold for so long -- and extremely disturbed that this taxi company would allow one of their drivers to be kept on hold for so long. Until a chirpy voice spoke "Thank you for calling, may I have your vehicle number please."




And as I listened, I heard the driver tell the call operator his vehicle details and that a passenger had left a laptop bag with a laptop inside in his vehicle.  To keep it safe, he had actually put it in the front seat.  


It immediately struck me that our taxi drivers are so honest!  I remember a recent report that a taxi driver returned almost S$1m that was found in his vehicle.  My heart warmed up knowing that there are good taxi drivers.

As he hung up the phone I said "Uncle, I am so encouraged to know that you are an honest man."  And the driver responded "Aiyo, so troublesome you know.  After the passenger alighted and I discovered the bag, I drove back to look for her and cannot find her.  Still kenna caught in a jam.  Tomorrow go return the bag waste time some more.  Aiya, but it's the right thing to do, or she will be so worried."


A million things raced through my mind and I thought, the taxi company should reward him, compensate him for loss of earnings etc....then I realised it's not the money, it's not the rewards -- but it's the right thing to do.  And that's true honesty, without any expectations.

Thank you for the lesson today My Taxi Driver.  

And if you ever need the Lost and Found number -- it's 1800 225 5582 or if you're calling from overseas, it's +65 6225 5582.


No comments:

Post a Comment