Thursday 10 January 2013

Honk Honk -- let's exercise some graciousness

Sometime ago, my taxi driver was at a slip road when a car tried to cut into the lane in front of the car ahead.  And the car ahead honked at the one trying to cut in and inched forward.  Hehe, not unusual right?  =)

So my taxi driver started to say "Singapore drivers should be more gracious, you let people go both parties also feel good.  You honk at people and don't let them go, you also not shiok right?"

And I said "Yes uncle, you made a very good point.  When we feel good we also feel happier."

My taxi driver laughed and said "Do you know that our highway code specifies how and when we can use our horn and that we cannot honk near schools and hospitals?"

107. Sounding your horn when driving is unnecessary, except as a warning. In some areas it is on offence to use the horn, except to avoid an accident. You should not sound your horn near a hospital, except in an emergency.

And that got stuck with me, reinforced by my family (especially my dad) who don't use the horn unless it is necessary to warn other road users.


I was bringing my mum to the hospital for her check-up.  As the basement carpark was full, i had to park a distance from the clinic.  So I stopped by the roadside marked with double yellow line and waited for my mum to get off the car to minimise her walking.

As she put her walking stick out, a vehicle behind sounded the horn.  So I walked to the car behind and said "Excuse me, I would like to remind you that the horn should not be sounded in the vicinity of the hospital."

And the lady replied "And you shouldn't stop here." and when she saw my mum getting off the car unsteadily, she said "and I didn't know that you are alighting someone.  You didn't see me when I high-beamed you, so I have no choice but to honk."

The sun's so bright -- no I didn't see her high beam.  So I walked back to the car and snapped a picture of her license plate number.  Ha!  Volvo for life.



No comments:

Post a Comment